The very talented and Indian tennis star Sania Mirza celebrates her 30th birthday today on November 15. Sania Mirza’s journey of becoming World’s No.1 player in Women’s double is very much appreciable and by the grace of God has a long career ahead. Sania has faced many difficulties and challenges in making her dream come true. The charming Sania is inspiration to many and has got many achievements for herself at world class level. Let’s take a look at some of her life happenings at professional and personal level that very few people know.
1. One can’t deny the fact that Sania Mirza made the country proud. One of the most precious and memorable moment was when she became the first Indian to win a Women Tennis Association (WTA) title. The WTA named her ‘Newcomer of the Year’ in 2005.
2. Sania Mirza’s personal life has been a roller-coaster ride, but now she is happily married to Pakistani cricketer Shoaib Malik. Post marriage, Sania is living in Dubai and has been visiting Pakistan and Indian only at a professional level. The talented diva is planning for a baby only after she retires from sports in order to give sufficient time to motherhood.
3. Believe it or not, Sania is the first Indian tennis player who earned more than USD 1 million prize money in the history of Indian tennis. Her achievements are truly incredible and worth knowing for the knowledge.
4. Post marriage in 2010, Sania Mirza was among the most searched Indian sports celebrity on Google. She was named one of the ’50 heroes of Asia’ by Time in October 2005. In March 2010 while The Economic Times named Mirza in the list of the “33 women who made India proud”.
5. Earlier this year, Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan launched the autobiography of tennis star Sania Mirza titled ‘Ace Against Odds’ in Hyderabad. The book witnesses Sania’s journey of becoming World’s No.1 player in women’s doubles and her life of struggle to be what she is today.
6. She has bagged many awards till date but one of the most prestigious was ‘Padmashri’ award that she was felicitated in 2006, followed by latest award ‘Padma Bhushan’ in 2016.
7. Grabbing the world No.1 place in women’s double, Sania Mirza has become a brand in herself and has managed to level up in the same endorsement notch as cricketers Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan. While the two Indian cricketers charge between Rs 1 and 1.5 crore a year, as per media reports, Sania charges around 1 to 1.25 crores a year for brand endorsements. She was also a brand ambassador for the new state Telangana in 2014.
8. Not just with Indian cricketers, Sania Mirza has become a brand ambassador along with 3 other athletes- Nehwal, Dipika Pallikal (squash player) and pugilist Mary Kom. These female athletes have become a household name across India.
9. Sania vowed to never play in India. Its because objections were raised from her community on her dressing while playing at tennis court and fatwa was issued. Hence, it broke her heart and she decided to never play in India.
#Eventznu wishes a very Happy Birthday to the talented sports beauty Sania Mirza!